Liberty church is a new church in the Mid Ulster area. We meet in our building which we call 'The Loft' which is a spacious and welcoming home and base for activities and events. The building is found in Castledawson, just outside Magherafelt in the heart of Mid Ulster.
Jason and Ali Shiels are pioneering Liberty church. Jason is from Mid Ulster. They were previously missionaries in India for 5 years and then spent 11 years in Dublin planting and developing South City Church (www.southcitychurch.org) which is a vibrant church on the Southside of Dublin. In February 2014 the doors of the building opened publically for the first time following some months beginning as a house-church. Meetings also happen in homes (home-group) for prayer, worship, Bible study and fellowship. Events are announced and held as God leads, such as worship events, marriage courses, and anointed visiting speakers who carry giftings to equip God's people.
New ministries/activities have already begun through Liberty. We have men's football that meets on a Monday night at Moyola FC (8-9pm), a men's study and prayer group, 'Liberty Moms' group, Kings kids, worship ministry and prayer.
Liberty church's primary aims are to be:
* God glorifying in all things
* A worshipping community of friends
* A church of Spirit empowered followers of Jesus
* Word of God (Bible) filled and fueled
* A Kingdom people, the kingdom is 'at hand' every day
* Walking relationally with God, one another and building bridges to reach out to the world
* Transformed into the likeness of Christ in personal holiness and faithful service
* A Godly steward of all we have and are: 'time, treasure, talents'
* A people on mission who are joining God in what He is doing to reach neighbours and nations
* A genuinely loving and caring people who practise unity not division.
* A church that is equipping and mobilising all God's people to 'shine'
* God pleasers not crippled by the fear of man
* A people of prayer that is evidenced in more than good intentions
What we value and believe:
We honour the Holy Bible as divinely inspired, God-breathed and fully authoratative for our lives.
We believe that God will never 'speak' something that contradicts the revealed will of God in His Word.
We believe in and practise the gifts of the Holy Spirit
We believe in the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All pre-existent and co-equal.
We believe that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is good news and is the hope for our nation! We believe that it is the key redemptive event in all history through Jesus Christ. It is good news for the sinner who can be saved and is also the foundation for all sanctification for the believer. This is vitally important.
We believe in liberty for the captives in our community who are ensnared by sin and bound by its effects in many guises and ways.
We believe in the local church. While others treat this ambivalently we believe that God is not.
We believe in Godly leadership and understand that God uses imperfect vessels in His body to accomplish His purposes.
We are grateful for God's grace and believe it to be unmerited and undeserved, yet bountifully given to the believer through the scandalously good news of the gospel.
We are a work in progress, just one expression in God's big picture. We seek to love and learn from other God-honouring Christians, and to build unity in His wider body.